Job posting has expired
Interiors Engineer- Seating Systems R&D
| Honda North America
United States, North Carolina, Greensboro
|December 08, 2023
Honda Aircraft Company
About the Opportunity:
You will be at the forefront of the next generation of highly talented interiors designers and engineers at Honda Aircraft Company. The interior of our HondaJet aircraft is where we directly interface and with our aircraft owners and passengers. Passenger experience is an area of highest importance to our product, and you will join our Interiors team to lead the development of our next generation of Cabin Seating Systems. Our objective is to develop a seating solution that offers new and game-changing comfort - you will conceptualize and define the core geometry, adjustability, kinematics, mechanisms and next generation features for our future aircraft interior updates. Your work will integrate carefully researched ergonomics and human factors over a range of relevant use cases (upright seating for working/dining, recline, sleeping, and everything in between), smooth & reliable mechanical function, lightweight and next generation structure and support materials, clever and elegant mechanical design for both mechanical and powered actuation, enhanced comfort technology, and design for manufacturability and certification.
You have a keen focus on ergonomics and user/passenger experience, combined with elite understanding and creativity in the design of mechanisms, visionary product solving abilities, proven CAD skills, manufacturing and mockup-prototyping skills (you know your way around a workshop and have a Maker mentality) and a demonstrated knowledge and experience in aircraft seating development and certification in business aviation or business-class/first-class commercial aircraft seating. You have are inspired to define the future and leap ahead of the designs that have come before.
As Seating System R&D Engineer you will be the primary engineering knowledge-owner for Honda Aircraft Company for future seating products, and act as primary technical focal point for the company. Your responsibilities will include research into existing state-of-the-art in seating for both aviation and other segments, establishing ergonomic and functional/technical requirements, developing technical solutions for these features (independently or in collaboration with selected Seating system suppliers or other collaborators), leading the prototyping and testing of early concepts , working with in-house Engineering and Industrial Design teams, managing project deliverables and schedules, and guiding the overall system from initial definition through engineering design, testing, certification and entry into service. On a given day you may host regular supplier progress and technical integration meetings, develop and provide program status reports, build and test prototype components in our mockup or test bench, co-develop design and aircraft installations with our manufacturing team, create human factors and passenger ergonomics assessments, develop/review/release technical engineering drawings, or undertake seat testing and system certification activities. You will be given the opportunity to apply your outstanding experience and future vision, using judgement and autonomy to guide the future of business aircraft cabin experience. This position affords an expectation of strong personal and professional growth within our agile engineering teams.
Your Key Responsibilities:
7. Validate engineering designs per engineering core principles, design standards, processes and industry best practices.
8. Make technical and program-related recommendations to engineering leadership.
9. Work with Manufacturing and Customer-Service teams to ensure design for modularity, manufacturability, maintainability, and ease of future upgrade.
10. Ensure adherence to program milestones and objectives
Education, Work Experience, Certification and/or Licensure:
1. Bachelors' degree in Mechanical, Aerospace or Civil Engineering from a four year college or university is required. (In lieu of degree, management may elect to consider individuals with a equivalent years of combined experience and training.)
2. Masters' degree in Engineering preferred.
3. 5+ years of engineering experience with at least three years of design engineering and supplier integration experience directly related to mechanical/interior design for commercial aircraft.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Working knowledge of conceptual design development of aircraft interiors.
2. Working knowledge of industry standard (i.e. - parts lists, bill of materials, parts and standards callout, etc).
3. In-depth knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T).
4. Familiarity with 14CFR Part 23/25.
5. Proficiency in CATIA V5 workbenches or equivalent 3D modeling tools (i.e. - Solidworks, Unigraphics, etc).
6. Proficiency in Teamcenter (or equivalent PLM tool).
7. Ability to work independently or within a team environment.
8. Ability to communicate effectively throughout all levels within an organization and present data clearly and concisely.
9. Ability to work cross functionally with Quality and Production to resolve issues on the production line.
1. Incumbents may be routinely exposed to equipment operational noise heat-cold-dust, and/or aircraft equipment, parts, or fuel odors.
2. Incumbents may be required to stand, sit, squat, walk, bend, climb ladders, move, reach, or stretch for prolonged time periods with no restrictions, as required by job duties.
3. Work in a safe and professional manner while adhering to all regulatory requirements (FAA, OSHA, DOT, EPA, State, and Federal regulations, etc.).
4. Read, hear, speak, and see with no restrictions, as required by job duties.
5. Comprehend and adhere to management directions and/or safety instructions with no restrictions.
6. Effectively communicate in Business English language.
7. Pull, push, carry, lift, or move items up to 10 lbs. throughout the work shift without assistance, as required by job duties.
8. Pull, push, carry, lift or move materials/people/items/equipment weighing up to 50lbs or more during the work shift, with the use of Company provided "reach assistance technology" or "movement assist technology" (fork-lifts, pallet jacks, pulleys, dolly's, robotics reach equipment, people movers etc.), as required by job duties.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and scope of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, and responsibilities required of personnel so classified. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice. This document does not constitute a contract between the incumbent and Honda Aircraft Company. (FLSA: ) 01/07/13
Who You Are:
You have a deep understanding of aircraft cabin systems, from a user-interface and overall experience viewpoint. You are sable to see the overall picture and also deep dive into details as needed, utilizing solid judgement and problem solving skills, facilitation discussion and collaboration, getting the most out of your team and colleagues to benefit the aircraft program. You prioritize passenger experience and can expertly establish and pursue a class-leading in-flight experience, balanced this with functional an d engineering skills to make it happen - incorporating the realities of weight, schedule, cost and technical objectives. You are ready and able to take a project from initial concept and see it through to final delivery. You are seeking an opportunity to apply the knowledge you have gained, working with other talented engineers in the research and development of the next generation of luxury business aircraft.