Performs manual and semi-skilled work in the development, repair and general maintenance of grounds and athletic fields at school facilities. Work involves general grounds maintenance, such as concrete, asphalt, and fence repairs, athletic field and playground maintenance and repair, tree removal/pruning, and snow removal. Works various shifts, scheduled overtime and responds to emergencies outside of normal working hours and holidays as needed. This position is considered essential personnel for emergency situations, including inclement weather conditions.
- Assists in the repair, and general maintenance of grounds and
- Assists in the maintenance and repair of playground
- Performs maintenance and repairs on natural grass and artificial
- Prepares athletic grounds for games, meets and athletic
- Drags, spreads, prepares and levels playing surfaces. Fertilizes, aerates, limes, seeds, and waters
- Clears areas and swales by felling trees and removing debris and removing poisonous
- Erects, repairs, and maintains chain, link, and wood
- Operates equipment such as air hammers, compactors, mulchers, motorized lifts, mowers, tractors, and other grounds care equipment/operates truck with
- Participates in snow
- Assists in loading, unloading, and delivering materials, machinery and
- Digs and backfills holes and
- Performs and promotes all activities in compliance with equal employment and nondiscrimination policies; follows federal laws, state laws, school board polices and the professional standards.
- High School Diploma or Equivalency
- One (1) year of construction, landscape, or related experience
- One (1) year experience of performing laboring
- Ability to follow instructions, procedures and operate simple
- Ability to be trained and retain knowledge of landscaping and care of plants, transplanting, pruning trees, shrubbery and flowers, asphalt, brick, and cement repairs to walkways, driveways, and storm
- Strong customer service skills in a team
- Ability to perform extensive walking, standing, carrying, climbing, bending, stooping, crawling, kneeling, and lifting and the ability to exert force required to twist/turn equipment tools required to perform assigned
- Ability to move, and position self to move in, under, over or through equipment, and work in confined
- Ability to ascend and descend a forty feet vertical ladder and work from
- Ability to move a minimum of eight (80)
- Assignments involve some exposure to dust, dirt, noise, chemical solutions/solvents/odors, minor injury hazards and adverse weather conditions.
- The employee is required to use safety devices and protective equipment to minimize the frequency and severity of work-related
- Adheres to safe practices and methods in the operation of equipment and supplies related to the duties of the
- The employee is responsible for correcting and/or reporting any conditions within a building or grounds that may be hazardous to employees and
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work and communicate with diverse
- Ability to employ business technology tools (i.e., phone, iPad, ).
- Ability to input work orders in a computerized maintenance management system
- Ability to work shift work, scheduled extended hours and/or respond to emergencies outside of normal working hours and
- Satisfactory score on any tests
Full time or Part time
Qualified candidates for the above position must submit the following:
- Completed online application
- Resume that clearly demonstrates the above minimum qualifications. It is important that you include all experiences and education related to the position to which you are applying.
- Upload copies of all transcripts -undergraduate, graduate and all MSDE Certifications
- Must provide three (3) professional references to include: name, title, business address, e-mail address and phone number
- All documentation/certification necessary (scanned copies accepted) to substantiate minimum qualifications; must be uploaded into application
- All documentation must be scanned and uploaded to application
Benefits -- This position is eligible for benefits. To review the available options please see the information relevant to the union for this position by viewing the following link: http://www.baltimorecityschools.org
Baltimore City Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry or national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or age in its employment, programs and activities and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts of America and other designated youth groups. For inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies, please contact Equal Opportunity Manager, Title IX Coordinator Equal Employment Opportunity and Title IX Compliance Office 200 E. North Avenue, Room 208 Baltimore, MD 21202; 410-396-8542 (phone); 410-396-2955 (fax).
This position is affiliated with Local 44 (L44) bargaining union.
This position is affiliated with the City Retirement Plan.